We are in The Greater Group always looking for smart, talented and fun people to join our growing business:

Having previous experience with global retailers would be a big plus however not a requirement.

Why should a career in retail interest you?

Retail is part of every aspect of our lives. The clothes you wear, the food you eat, the house or apartment you live in, the car you drive, the office you work in, the dentist appointment you’ve been putting off for weeks, the holiday you’ve been planning for months and the bank card you use to pay for everything. Every purchase you’ve ever made, every flight you’ve taken, restaurant you’ve eaten in and concert or sports game you’ve attended – retail is everywhere.

Why should you choose a career in retail?

The career opportunities sprouting from retail are endless. The retail world is a complex structure that consists of many different parts, all working together to have a well-oiled, smooth-running machine to effect. Regardless of your career objectives, you can play a part in this retail ‘machine’.

Once you set foot in the retail sphere, you will benefit from learning a plethora of transferrable job skills and tapping into other areas of expertise to gain insight into the inner-workings of the system and broaden your knowledge of creative processes, technical operations, sales and customer service, consumer psychology, marketing, PR – the list goes on.

How are you connected to the retail industry?

The coffee you had on the way to work this morning involved at least three people directly, from the barista working his magic behind the counter to the waiter who served your order to the cashier who handled your payment. But let’s think back further: the coffee beans were likely bought from a supplier, who sourced it from a farm, who paid employees to grow, harvest, roast and transport the produce. Before making it into your takeaway cup, the beans were grinded by a machine that was built by an engineer and requires ongoing specialist maintenance.

The cafe itself is the result of months – if not years – of detailed architecture, gruelling construction work and creative interior design. Then the furniture was custom-built by local talent, artists were commissioned to deck the walls, a photographer was called in to take photos, a web designer was enlisted to create an attractive website, a marketing manager was hired to put the completed venue on the map – all with the singular goal in mind of getting people like you to walk through the doors.

Get the picture?

How can working in retail grow into a good career?

Kickstarting your career in retail is the perfect opportunity to get an exclusive behind-the-scenes look into the industry that shapes everything we do and set you up for an endless pool of skills to develop and specialised expertise to delve into. Many retail employees start their career ‘on the floor’ and later move on to managerial roles – and that is only when we talk about sales.

Others transition to a more creative space by specialising in visual merchandising, store design, retail displays and brand activations, or moving towards the engineering and technical side of procurement, supply chain management, manufacture, build, maintenance and project management. This is where Greater Group come in – creating intelligent, innovative retail spaces.

What can you expect from a career in retail?

Sales only just tip the scale on what retail entails, weighing about 56% of the job scope – according to the National Retail Foundation. The other 44% is covered by fields like design, logistics, administration and marketing, so the term ‘retail’ is quite broad in this regard.

Greater Group retail careers: we’re hiring

Greater group has been designing and building retail spaces for the past 30 years. Over the years we have grown and expanded as the market changed and new needs arose. Today, the company offers career opportunities in creative, technical and marketing fields. This includes hands-on positions in architecture, interior design, digital rendering, visual merchandising, site analysis, procurement management, warehousing and build, as well as retail marketing roles to assist in brand management – graphic designers, copywriters, web designers, marketing experts and more.

We are always looking for new talent to join our growing business. Please refer to our LinkedIn page to see the positions we’re hiring for.